I’ll be the first to admit I was skeptical about the ugly sneaker trend from the get go. I still remember the chunky sneaker days of the late 90s/early aughts, and I wasn’t sure I was ready to champion this comeback. But thanks to my girls Karen and Alyssa for showing me the chic side of the dad shoe, I’m embracing this trend in a big way.
If you are also skeptical, or unsure how to incorporate some futuristic fugly footwear into your wardrobe, read on my friend. Here are 5 ways to rock the ugly sneaker trend:
1. Embrace athleisure. The easiest way to dip your toe into this trend is to embrace the athletic vibe of the sneakers. Start with chic track pants, or even better—a matching sweat set. Add a mini bag and keep your hair/makeup understated.
2. Sporty streetwear. Keep one piece in athleisure land and the rest of your outfit in streetwear territory. Think: sporty pants with a leather jacket or a colorblocked windbreaker and silk joggers.
3. Suit up. Balance your ugly sneaks with a crisp suit. I love seeing these 2 “masculine” concepts (one fancy, one casual) worn together.
4. Go monochrome. When in doubt with a new statement accessory, wear one color from head to toe. And you know all red is my monochromatic look of choice.
5. Add a femme dress. My personal favorite way to wear this trend is to juxtapose the sporty/masculine vibe of the sneakers with a femme and flirty dress.